Dear BSA member and fellow sociologist
- The management of equality and diversity issues within the REF process.
- Treatment of early career researchers.
- Employment contracts being varied due to REF management.
- The management of definitions of ‘independent researchers’.
- Cases of redundant staff being planned to be submitted to the REF.
- Bullying or harassment linked to REF management issues.
Please note that as a charitable body we are not allowed to intervene in employment issues and therefore are not empowered to engage in mediation in the case of disputes. We are seeking information on issues rather than actions of named individuals (and indeed such personalised information would normally be ethically inappropriate to disclose). Our purpose here is intelligence gathering so we can develop a rounded account of how the management of REF is affecting the working lives of sociologists. Naturally, any responses made will be treated in the strictest confidence, and we will not be seeking to identify specific universities in any public report we may want to prepare on the basis of the responses we receive.
Please send your concerns to BSA Chief Executive, Judith Mudd.